Queer The Land is a collaborative project grounded in the self-determination of queer, trans, and two spirit Black/ indigenous/ people of color (QT2BIPOC) and the vision of collectively owning our land and labor.
The general membership level is open to anyone who identifies and lives as a queer, trans, and two spirit Black/ indigenous/ people of color. Non-QT2BIPOC are welcome to join as Allied Community Supporters (see below).
- Go through QTL Orientation within 3 months of joining (aim for within 30 days).
- Willing and able to commit $20/month or 1 hour of labor/month or 1% of your income/labor equivalent.
- Agree and commit to QTL’s Points of Unity.
- Host or attend at least 2 skill-share or resource-share per quarter.
- Skill-Share & Resource-Share Definition: Members are encouraged to tap into their many intuitive skills, cultural expertise and access to resources. This might mean that members commit to participating in or create one big shared-meal event, teach a class on making home-country foods, offer a pole-dancing workshop, provide groceries & household goods to another member or treat members at free or low-cost rate as a qualified healer/health-worker.
- Commit to one of our committees/areas of work (Operations and Development, Property Acquisition, Membership Building).
Core members function as strategic guidance and day-to-day decision making body of QTL.
- Commit to attending at least 2 meetings per quarter (including general and committee meetings).
- Being a point person for events/programs.
- Being able to offer QTL at least 2 skill-shares or volunteer for 2 events per quarter.
Member + Core-Member Benefits
Access to Housing Emergency Fund (up to $500 per month)
Solidarity Fund: can request up to $500 per month from collectively pooled money for rental/bill-payment assistance. We do not offer rapid response funds. Payments can take up to 10-15 business days.
Leadership Development Fund: can request up to $750 to attend trainings, classes and programs related to our work.
Core members receive a quarterly stipend of $600+
Paid Training Jobs & Gap Employment for unemployed/ underemployed members.
Allied Community Supporter
This membership level is open to non-queer & trans, Black/ indigenous/ people of color (QTBIPOC) and all allies.
- Commits to dues of at least $20/month or 1 hour of labor/month or 1% of your income/labor equivalent.
- Volunteers for 1 community event each year.
- Agrees to act in accordance with the QTL Points of Unity in all interactions with QTL, our space and our home-communities.
- Commit to centering Black and Brown identities, practice accountable anti-racism, and actively challenge transphobia, queerphobia and misogyny.
We’re forming an advisory board that will be responsible for working closely with our core team of organizers on strategic guidance, budget oversight, donor cultivation, and property acquisition.
QT2BIPOC are especially encouraged to apply, and QT2BIPOC advisory board members will be able to count their labor on the board as monthly QTL membership dues. We’re currently identifying other ways to honor the labor of our advisory board as well. Each term of service will be 1 to 3 years.
We’re looking for community members to serve on our advisory board with the following experience:
- Community land trusts and housing development experience.
- Experience with cooperative structures + decision making processes.
- Property/tax law expertise
- Construction & land use expertise
- Fundraising/donor-building experience
- Accounting experience
- Two meetings a quarter (1 with advisory board + 1 with QTL core)
- 5 to 15 hours a quarter
If you have any questions about joining our advisory board, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Want to join us?
We’d love to see you at our next orientation! If you’d like to join us, fill out our membership form.